Tuesday 17 September 2013

Get set for winter....

I've committed the cardinal sin at home, one I am hoping that Husband can forgive (fingers crossed): I've put the heating on before October 1st.

I know, I know, I'm sorry, but it is fecking FREEZING and I am unwilling to try and move around our drafty Victorian house wearing blankets, three pairs of socks and a scarf. The heating switch has been flicked and will remain on the ' ON timer' button until March. Ok, July of next year.

To be honest, this is my favourite time of year: we can at last let out the stomachs we have been holding in since June, give up on pedicures and brutal waxing and instead haul out the baggy comfy jumpers and heavy leather boots. Brilliant.

The other thing we can do, apart from salivating over the latest offering on The Great British Bake Off (it is back - much joy!) is begin nesting. Once September's cooler temperatures have made themselves known, it is utterly justifiable to start splashing the cash on throws, cushions, soft lighting and any item that will make your home that bit cosier as winter descends.  So with that in mind, I thought I'd share a few of Autumn/Winter 2013 must-have nesting essentials:

No. 1 The rug The coolest shop I have recently found on line for all things housey is this one. Currently I have two durry rugs sewn together that I sourced from Denmark, as my lounge rug. I love them/it. Husband HATES them/it. May have something to do with the vivid pink colour thrashing through it. I have promised him that I will sort the rug situation, and while he claims 'we don't need a rug at all' - he is of Australian blood, and doesn't feel the force 5 gale blowing through the enormous gaps between our wooden floorboards. The man is never cold. I am permanently freezing. He is convinced I could feel a draft in a vacuumed room - I am merely convinced that we need a new rug, of course. A winter essential if ever there was one.

No. 2 The throw Where to begin? If I had my way, we'd have a different throw thing for every day of the week. Husband calls them 'blankets' and doesn't understand my need to drop £120 for a pure wool one from Heals, because 'I like the stitching.' I am sure that if he had his way, we'd all sit in bin bags, reminiscent of Bradley Cooper's jogging outfit in Silver Linings Playbook (which I might add Husband has seen 6 times, as his love for all things Jennifer Lawrence knows no bounds). So the throws I love are here, here and ohhhhh here. You can thank me later... I actually have coveted that Missoni throw for at least a year. *Sighs.*

No. 3 Lighting - indeed, fairy lights. Now, don't tell me that you think fairy lights are very 2001. They were. Are. BUT you just haven't taken a browse through these guys. Whatever the occasion - they have a decorative light for you. (Who knew that there are USB fairy lights, but indeed there are).  I found them when I was browsing for Halloween decs (what do you mean, it's too soon to be thinking about all Hallow's eve? I start thinking about it as soon as Sproglet returns to school - when I force the kid to invite all his buddies to a Halloween party so as I can trick or treat, with a load of hip-flask swilling Mothers - but that is another story).

Don't get me started on cushions and candles. That my friends, is an entire other blog post. But do not let you other halves put you off from your purchasing. Winter is coming people and we need to saddle up. All you need is the above items and a decent bourbon and you're set. And in case you're asking which Bourbon - it can only be Woodford Reserve. Blanket or not, it'll warm your cockles, that's for sure.  Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......

No comments: